This collection of U.S. Navy and merchant reserve vessels, known as the Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet (SBRF) and the Mothball Fleet, was created by the U.S. Maritime Administration following World War II to serve as a pool of potential backups for national defense.
It is located on the northwest side of Suisun Bay, the fleet is within a regulated navigation area that is about 4 1/2 miles long and 1/2 mile wide.
Approximately 1,000 ships have called Suisun Bay home since 1946. At its peak in 1950, the program had more than 2,000 ships in lay-up.
Continues on Page 2